Perkins Center for the Arts Conservatory of Music offers violin and viola lessons at our 2 locations in Moorestown and Collingswood, NJ. Lessons are available for students of all levels from beginner to advanced and for ages 5 to adult. Our faculty also offers in home private lessons upon request throughout South Jersey.
About Perkins Center for the Arts
Perkins Center for the Arts is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing high-quality music and art education in South Jersey. The Conservatory of Music at Perkins Center for the Arts has been the premier provider of private and ensemble music instruction in the region since 1977. Programs support and expand the understanding and appreciation of classical and contemporary music by the greater community while employing and supporting professional musicians who preserve, teach and promote this work.
- Deborah Amsterdam – Mrs. Amsterdam has a BA from Drew University, a background in piano, voice, dance and theater and performs professionally with the Rutgers Chamber Orchestra and Philharmonic of Southern New Jersey.
- Mihaela Matei – Ms. Matei earned music degrees from Romania’s National Academy of Music and Rowan University, has performed internationally and is a founding member of Philadelphia String Quartet.
- Chi Park – Ms. Park has music degrees from Esther Boyer College of Music at Temple University and performs professionally with many orchestras that include Symphony in C (formerly Haddonfield Symphony), Lancaster Symphony, Pottstown Symphony, and Bay-Atlantic Symphony.
To learn more about Deborah, Mihaela, Chi and the rest of our faculty please click HERE.
What You Can Expect as a Violin/Viola Student at Perkins Center for the Arts
- Private and group lessons are available.
- Lessons can be scheduled for 30, 45, or 60 minutes. Learn more HERE.
- Perkins Center members receive discounts on lessons
- Students learn violin and viola through private instruction and a series of lesson books. Lessons are based on a student’s skill level.
- Students should provide their own instrument and lesson books for lessons.
- We do not provide instruments for rental or home use, but can provide rental information.
- Students with special needs or requests are encouraged to speak to the program manager to discuss any accommodations needed during music instruction.
Violin and Viola Lessons Availability
Monday 2:30-8:00PM; Tuesday 3:30-7:30PM; Saturday 8:45AM-4:00PM in Moorestown
Lessons are available in our Collingswood Center Monday through Friday.
Lessons are scheduled on a first come first served basis and times fill up fast! We book lessons in (4) 10 week quarters from September through June. Flexible scheduling is available during the summer session.
For more information about our Strings program and to schedule lessons with our faculty, please call Vickie Jameson from 9AM – 5PM Monday – Friday at 856-235-6488 Ext 302.
“My son’s violin teacher is wonderful. Very talented musician, nice guy, laid back, wonderful teacher, motivates my son to want to play better and harder music – my son really likes him and enjoys lessons each week”. -Evaluation Response
“Once in a while you get the chance to do something worthwhile. I got the chance to take violin lessons. I am so happy I got to do this because thanks to Mrs. Amsterdam, I have learned so much. I am very lucky and appreciative to be on this wonderful scholarship. It has taught me how to be a leader and teach to my peers anything is possible and anything can happen if you work hard. When you get something, take it to another step for better experiences. I made it certain that the time will be worth it. I love having this opportunity”. – Student Response