Perkins Center for the Arts Conservatory of Music offers guitar lessons at our 2 locations in Moorestown and Collingswood, NJ. Lessons are available for students of all levels from beginner to advanced and for ages 5 to adult. Our faculty also offers in home private lessons upon request throughout South Jersey.
About Perkins Center for the Arts
Perkins Center for the Arts is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing high-quality music and art education in South Jersey. The Conservatory of Music at Perkins Center for the Arts has been the premier provider of private and ensemble music instruction in the region since 1977. Programs support and expand the understanding and appreciation of classical and contemporary music by the greater community while employing and supporting professional musicians who preserve, teach and promote this work.
- Thomas Cavanagh – Mr. Cavanagh earned his music degree from Michigan State University, has studied with legendary musicians John Hall and Dennis Sandole and has over 20 years’ experience teaching all styles of guitar.
- Michael Wessner – Mr. Wessner earned his music degree from Rowan University, has been teaching guitar, saxophone and clarinet for 26 years and performs in many live venues in the Philadelphia area.
To learn more about Tom, Mike and the rest of our faculty please click HERE.
What You Can Expect as a Guitar Student at Perkins Center for the Arts
- Because there are several types of guitar styles, we offer a variety of lessons based on our student’s needs. They include:
- Bass – Classical
- Electric – Spanish
- Private and group lessons are available.
- Lessons can be scheduled for 30, 45, or 60 minutes. Learn more HERE.
- Perkins Center members receive discounts on lessons
- Students learn guitar through a series of lesson books and private lesson instruction. Lessons are based on a student’s skill level.
- Students should provide their own guitar and lesson books for lessons.
- We do not provide instruments for rental or home use, but can provide rental information.
- Students with special needs or requests are encouraged to speak to the program manager to discuss any accommodations needed during music instruction.
Guitar Lessons Availability
Monday 3:30-10PM; Tuesday 5:15-8:30PM; Wednesday 2:45-10PM; Thursday 5:15-8:30PM; Friday 3:30-8:30PM
Lessons are scheduled on a first come first served basis and times fill up fast! We book lessons in (4) 10 week quarters from September through June. Flexible scheduling is available during the summer session.
For more information about our Guitar program and to schedule lessons with our faculty, please call 856-235-6488 Ext 302.
“Our boys love their teachers (Mike on Tuesday nights for guitar and Joe on Monday nights for drums). THAT matters most to us. THAT is what makes them want to practice (when they do practice :/) and keep taking lessons. Those guys are awesome. We also totally love coming to Perkins—it’s such a great space. While the boys have lessons, I love sitting there seeing/hearing people come in for their lessons (kids, adults, so many instruments, etc.)” –Evaluation Response
“I believe that learning how to play an instrument has helped my children do great in school and focus better. Aaron and Malachi have been taking lessons for about six years. The funding that’s available to assist families in need has helped my children tremendously because they are able to continue taking guitar and drum lessons.” – Parent Response
“We absolutely LOVE Perkins and wouldn’t consider going anywhere else. Our instructors are knowledgeable, enthusiastic and patient. The environment fosters my child’s interest and talent in the arts and music.” – Evaluation Response